Saturday, November 27, 2010

Making Kahlua

Have you ever made Kahlua?  It's really easy and so much cheaper than the store bought stuff.  There are tons of recipes on the internet.  I know, my sister in law and I tried to make them all a couple of years ago on New Years Eve.  This year, we needed Kahlua after Thanksgiving dinner, for our coffee to go with our pie, and of course, there are no stores open on Thanksgiving in Podunk, so I dug through my recipes and here it is to share with you.



Here's what you need to make Kahlua:

  • 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
  • 1cup white sugar
  • 2 cups water
Combine and bring to a boil.  Boil for 5 minutes, remove from heat and then add
  • 1/2 cup instant coffee
Cool and then add:

  • 2 tablespoons vanilla
  • 3 cups vodka


It makes about this much!  Pour in your coffee, or use in any recipe calling for Kahlua.  If you want vanilla Kahlua (I've seen it in the stores) just add more vanilla. 


I couldn't say how long it will last, but I do store it in the fridge.  Don't think you would need to, but I store it there mostly so only I can find it!!  This would make an awesome Christmas gift!  Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment