Friday, December 10, 2010

Great Grilled Cheese

One of my very favorite weekend meals is grilled cheese and tomato soup.  I know that the easy way to make grilled cheese would just be to slap a couple squares of american cheese on some bread and grill, but several years ago I found this recipe for ultimate grilled cheese and have never gone back. 

For the basic recipe, you will combine 4 oz soft cream cheese and 3/4 cup mayonaise.  Then mix in 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese and 1 tsp italian seasoning.



Let your imagination go here.  Use any two or three kinds of cheese you like.  My personal favorite is montery jack cheese and sharp cheddar with a dash of parmesan cheese.  If you like spicy, you could throw in some diced/minced jalapenos. 



Pile on a fair amount of the cheese mixture in your bread.  The amount above makes  4 or 5 sandwiches.  Sometimes I add a couple of slices of ham to each sandwich too.  Really any kind of sliced meat would work, my personal favorite is just ham. 



Butter each side of the bread, mix up the bread you use too.  I'm using sourdough in these pictures, but I also like sliced french bread for little sandwiches.  Grill in a hot skillet for about 2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.




Slice in half - I was informed by my family that the correct way is to slice diagonally - and serve.  Nothing better on these cooler nights than grilled cheese and tomato soup!  Yum.


Click to play this Smilebox recipe
Create your own recipe - Powered by Smilebox
This recipe page customized with Smilebox


I found this cute little recipe card maker online... hope you like it.  I would love to have some feedback to know if it's worth adding this to future recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment