Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Grandma Sarah's Cupcakes

*** If you are coming here from Simple Living by Diane Balch "Foodie Friday" welcome!  If not, be sure to visit her for tons of great recipes! ***


Grandma Sarah is my mother in law, and she's probably the best cook I know.  Not the fancy, never heard of the ingredients kind of cook, but the wow those are the best chocolate chip cookies I ever had kind of cook.  She cooks with lard and bacon grease and butter and sugar and lots and lots of love.  You will never go hungry at her house, or anywhere near her. 


She gave me this recipe when we got married, and I have made it many, many times.  I don't think they ever taste as good at her's though.  I have made them using a boxed mix for the cupcakes and then adding the filling when I'm in a hurry.  I have even frosted them with a can of frosting from the store (something I am sure she would N.E.V.E.R. do). 


Recipe

Filling:

8 oz cream cheese (soft)
1 egg
pinch salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips



Mix and set aside.

Combine in large mixing bowl:

1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup chocolate drink mix
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda



add to dry ingredients in mixing bowl:

1 cup water
1/2 cup oil (canola)
1 Tbsp white vinegar
1 tsp vanilla.


Mix well with dry ingredients.  Fill cupcake liners 1/2 full with cupcake mixture.  Add a blop (directly from her recipe, "blop" maybe a tablespoon-ish) of filling in the middle of each cupcake. 


Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.  Cool and frost with frosting of your choice.  I usually frost with chocolate butter cream frosting, but this time, the request was for cream cheese frosting.  I didn't argue...any reason to make cream cheese frosting is fine with me... yummmmm.



You will not use up all the filling for one batch of cupcakes.  You can refrigerate the filling up to a week (never lasted this long at my house!).  I made a double batch of cupcake this time and came out with 34 regular size cupcakes and a little extra filling.



I took them to school for DD#3 16th birthday, and both pans came back completely empty.  Not that I am surprised! 

7 comments:

  1. Interesting recipe never seen using dry chocolate mix. They sound delish andi thewednesdaybaker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to My Life in Podunk! Glad you stopped by. I have never seen dry chocolate mix in a recipe before either, but my MIL is pretty creative, and I suspect with 5 young kids at home, she figured out how to use what she had on hand! It's not your typical very chocolately cupcake, but the thing that keeps me coming back is the filling! YUM

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love people who cook with everyday ingredients too. These sound and look delicious! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. these look so good, thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so lucky to have a mother-in-law who is a great cook and shares her recipes. The filling looks amazing. Please share this on my foodie friday party today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am lucky that my mother-in-law is a great cook. I'm headed over to your friday party right now... a week late, but thanks for inviting me :)

      Delete
    2. So glad you made it... grab our button so you'll remember to come next week.

      Delete