Monday, April 23, 2012

Tomatoes, global bucket style

Big Boy tomato
My little tomato patch is coming along quite nicely, even if I do say so myself (and I do) :) While I did not take pictures of how I planted them about 6 weeks ago (you can find a really nice video here that is way better than what I would have done), I do have pictures of, not only the plants which are almost shoulder high to me, and I'm almost 6' tall, but an actual TOMATO!!  Dare I mention that today is April 23rd?  APRIL!


Cherry tomato

So far, these buckets are perfect.  Because we have so much shade, I can move them around to get more sun.  Something I just couldn't do with a conventional garden.  Also, see the white PVC pipe sticking out?  That's how I water them.  There is a reservoir in the bottom bucket that wicks water up to the roots.  Boy do they drink alot of water! 


See the baby cherry tomatoes??
I can't believe I already have a whole cluster of baby cherry tomatoes growing!  Don't tell the chickens, I don't think they have noticed yet. 


baby Big Boy tomato

And one baby Big Boy tomato (the fuzzy thing in the middle of that picture!) about the size of a golf ball.  I am beyond excited with my little bucket system.  My herb garden is also growing great.  I used some basil last week, and am going to use more on Wednesday when I make baked spaghetti

My little herb garden

I am so excited to start getting fresh produce from the little mobile garden.  I feel a caprese salad and some fresh salsa in my near future here in Podunk!

No comments:

Post a Comment