Monday, April 30, 2012

Meal Planning in Podunk

Continuing what I started last week, I will again be participating in Meal Planning Monday, over at "I'm an Organizing Junkie".  You should really go visit her - TONS of menu ideas. 

I'm an Organizing Junkie



Sure made my life easier last week. I'll take every bit of easier I can get!




I started out by checking my local grocery store's weekly ads to see what was on sale. I gotta say, that for Podunk, our grocery store is pretty great.  Looks like a great deal on chicken breasts, hamburger and vegetables, so that is the foundation of this week's menu.  I also kept in mind that our hens have started laying, and I have eggs that must get used, Cinco de Mayo is on Saturday, and finally, I have lots of recipes I've found on Pinterest that need to be tried!


Two of our free range hens

I hope you enjoy!


Monday - Hamburgers, Sweet Potato fries {P}, deviled eggs (use those eggs!)

Tuesday - Spicy Chicken Rigatoni {P}, roast vegetables {P}, French Bread, Snickers brownies {P}

Wednesday - Breakfast - scrambled eggs (hens again), bacon and Cinnamon rolls{P}

Thursday - Bourbon Chicken (see recipe below) and Egg rolls

Friday - Bacon Cheeseburger Pasta, Roast vegetables {P} French bread,

CINCO DE MAYO - Chicken Tacos {CR}{P} Mexican Rice, Tres Leches Cake and Margaritas

Sunday - brunch - Bacon, Egg and Cheese Biscuit casserole {P} (more eggs!)

Sunday - dinner - Grilled Cheese sandwiches and Tomato basil soup {CR} (see recipe below)



{CR} = Crock pot
{P} = Thank you, Pinterest




Recipes

Bourbon Chicken - From Food.com

Ingredients
  • 2 lbs boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
  • 1 -2  tbsp olive oil
  • 1 garlic clove, crushed
  • 1/4 tsp ginger
  • 3/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 cup apple juice
  • 1/3 cup light brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp ketchup
  • 1 tbsp cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/3 cup soy sauce
Directions
  1. Heat oil in large skillet.
  2. Add chicken pieces and cook until lightly brown.
  3. Remove chicken.
  4. Add remaining ingredients, heating over medium heat until well mixed and dissolved.
  5. Add chicken and bring to a hard boil.
  6. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
  7. Serve over hot rice and ENJOY.
***NOTE:  I usually add some fresh vegetables (broccoli, peppers, sugar snap peas) the last 10 minutes of simmer for some additional nutritional value.

Tomato Basil Soup
2 cans (14.5oz) crushed tomatoes (I also like fire roasted diced tomatoes)
12 fresh basil leaves (may use dried basil, or Italian seasoning, about 2 tbsp)
1 cup heavy cream
2 tbsp unsalted butter
Salt to taste
¼ teaspoon cracked black pepper

Pour tomatoes into small crock pot on low for 2 - 3 hours. Puree, with the basil leaves, in small batches, in blender or food processor. Return to crock pot and add cream, butter, salt and pepper, cover and cook on low another hour or until ready to serve. Garnish with basil leaves and serve with your favorite bread.





No comments:

Post a Comment