After a couple of whirl wind weeks... DD#2 graduated from high school, family down to visit and a week away from home on business, I can finally get back into a routine and get some posts up! This project I started about 6 months ago, you know, just about Christmas time. Isn't that when every teenage girl decides she MUST totally re-do her room? New curtains, new mini blinds, new paint, crown molding, closet update, the whole nine yards. And for some reason can't understand why you aren't as excited as she is, and don't even think you can pass this off as a Christmas present! Teenagers in Podunk are just like all other teenagers!
But I digress...sometimes you've just gotta wait and see how a project turns out. I was a little sceptical when DD#2 showed this to me and declared that she wanted these for her bedroom that we were already painting an
obnoxious fabulous pepto bismol pink! I didn't think they would hold up to the wear and tear of a teenager, but they have! And now I want to share them with you. SPARKLY light switch covers!!
It was a little challenging to get a picture of them... they sparkle and reflect light like crazy, but if you have a daughter who's into BLING, by all means, these are amazing. Slightly scratchy, but amazing!
We started out with the existing light switch cover - cheap, plastic and ugly. I just wiped it clean with a damp cloth (trust me it needed done...icky) and let it dry completely.
|My original thing of glitter with MUCH bigger! Just using this one for reference.|
Sorry, there are no pictures for this process... remember, I didn't really think it would work? Well, I should have taken pictures anyway!
First I laid down some newspapers because I tend to be messy. Then I smeared a pretty thick layer of Mod Podge over the entire surface of the switch plate. Be sure you get it all the way over to the edges. Then I sprinkled very liberally with glitter. The glitter pictured is NOT the size I used... maybe 4 x that much. Be sure you get glitter clear over to the edges (do you notice a reoccurring theme here?). I let that set for about 30 minutes before lightly tapping the loose glitter off. I recycled that glitter for switch plate #2. Then I let it dry overnight.
Once it's dry, I took it outside and sprayed it liberally with the clear polyurethane pictured. I bought the gloss, but it comes in matte too. Personal preference. Then I let it dry for at least 4 hours and sprayed it again. I did 3 coats of polyurethane and let the final coat dry overnight.
That's it. We hung it and have been using it for over 6 months now with no signs of wear and tear at all.
Glitter comes in a variety of colors, and if you wanted to go crazy you could even do a design (thinking stripes or chevron would be cute). And if you're like me, and love crafts and have girls, you probably even have all the supplies on hand, which makes it even better.